Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Rainy Day Obstacle Course


Lately, I have been wishing I could stay home with my son instead of working so I could do more things like this. When I was single, I would work from 5am-11pm and later nearly every day. On the weekends, I would work at least 12 hours grading and lesson planning. Now that I am married and a mother of a two and a half year old, and working full time as a teacher, the problem is that those hours still need to be put in to be a good teacher, but there are not enough hours in the day to be a good wife and a good mother. Jokingly the other day, I said to a friend, "Can we go back to the fifties and be secretaries?" She replied, "If we are going back, why don't we go back to the twenties and just stay home?" I didn't grow up in a household with a stay at home mom, so before I had my son, I never even considered it. Right now there is no way for me to do this, but I wish I at least had a choice. In the modern day, it's a luxury to be a stay at home mom. One that we just can't afford. One thing I'll never say, is that "I'm so glad I didn't spend all that time with Lucas when he was growing up so that I could make money." I have my own rainy day obstacle course to deal with right now, but I know everything will be fine soon.

No comments: